History and Genealogy Research
W. H. TITCHENAL, of Santa Ana, was born in Harrison County, West Virginia, January 2, 1817, a son of John R. and Rebecca (Harbertt) Titchenal , both natives of West Virginia. His father , a blacksmith by trade, moved to Missouri in 1819, and in 1833 to the vicinity of Fort Smith, Arkansas, where he died January 16, 1831.
The second of his nine children, the subject of this sketch, and a sister, are the only surviving members of the family. Mr. Titchenal was brought up to the life of a stock-raiser. From 1835 to 1852 he followed his calling, and also mercantile business, after 1849, in Texas. He then came overland through Mexico to the Pacific coast and then by sail to San Francisco, landing July 9, 1852. After following mining and teaming for awhile, he moved to San Juan, in Monterey county; was a resident of Mariposa County from 1855 to 1868, and March 4, 1869, he started fro Southern California, arriving at Santa Ana November 9. He first bought two lots and followed farming and teaming. In 1871 he bought thirty-six acres of land and erected the first swelling-house in Santa Ana, on lots No. 8. and 9. In 1881—86 he built the Titchenal block, on Fourth street, at a cost of about $16,000. The structure is a fine two-story brick, with seventy-five feet frontage and eighty five feet deep. As a business man Mr. Titchenal has been very successful , and as a citizen his record is beyond reproach. In former years he was connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church South, but of late years, he worships with the “Holiness” branch of the church.
In 1838 he went
from Arkansas on a visit to his friends in
Ohio, where he met and married Miss Sarah
Ann Dickason, January 29, 1839, and they have had eleven children, only
whom are now living, namely: Susan E., now Mrs. McHenry Morrison
(see notes below) , John Jackson;
Martha J., wife of N. T. Settle; David D., and Samuel H, proprietor of the candy
store in Santa Ana.
SOURCE: An Illustrated History of Southern California: Embracing the Counties of San Diego, San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Orange, and the Peninsula of Lower California, from the Earliest Period of Occupancy to the Present Time.... - Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1890.page 880-881 transcribed by Carolyn Feroben
see obit for McHenry Morrison-
see obit for Susan
RETURN TO MARIPOSA COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES